Welcome to Starfish
Everyone has a role in student success at SUNY Broome.
Helping our students be successful is a team effort. Depending on your role within the institution, however, you will likely have very specific priorities and goals in mind when you think about how best to support your students. Starfish works with all members of our institution to address their specific needs. Overall, the vision of Starfish is to help students succeed and graduate. It is an easy to use tool with a great user interface that gives faculty, students, and staff the opportunity to connect on another level. This powerful retention tool has improved student persistence in community colleges across the country.
Starfish was introduced at SUNY Broome in the Spring of 2015 as a communication tool that helps promote engagement that improves student outcomes. We are leveraging two components to help with student retention.
- Starfish Early Alert helps gather information about students so that they can receive help before circumstances cause them to fall behind.
- Starfish Connect helps create a bridge between students, professors, advisors, and tutors, to keep students on the right track. There are scheduling and communication elements built into this portion of the software.
Pilot (Summer 2015): Introduction
- 16 faculty participants
- System evaluation
- Focus on progress surveys, manual flags/kudos
Phase 1 (Fall 2015): Learning
- 40-50 faculty & staff members
- Focus on testing and training
- Progress surveys, manual flags/kudos
- Processes revised and developed
- Workflow, interventions, services
- Campus-wide access to Early Alert features:
- Progress surveys
- Manual flags/kudos
Phase 2 (Spring 2016): Expansion
- Focus on wider use and addition of features
- Connect, system flags, academic recovery plans, referrals
How Can I Dive In?
Access Starfish through your QuickLaunch menu in MyCollege
You’ll want to begin with The Basics. Here are a few things you can do to get started:
- Set up your profile
- Learn about Progress Surveys
- Get to know your students
- Explore the attendance feature
- Communicate with students, staff, or faculty.